US Passport Application Process
Understanding the US Passport application process is essential. The process of getting a passport is not easy. More and more people apply for getting their passports in spite of the numerous difficulties they face when they apply for it. So what is it which makes the passport so important for a person to have? A person can easily travel across the world to any country he wishes if he has his passport. Flying can be made hassle free for businessmen and other people who have the need to make international trips in and out of America. What is the US Passport Application Process? The requirements in the US are different for different age groups. If a minor needs to get his passport made then he must be accompanied by his guardian along with a parental consent form. New US Passport Applying Procedure is different from renewal process.
These are the steps to be followed to apply for A New US passport:
Gather the necessary documents:
- Keep your completed Passport Application DS-11 with you, but ensure you do not sign it until it is review by the passport agent.
- Provide a Proof of your American Citizenship. Make sure to submit your original papers and not the one’s which have been tampered with.
- You are also required to attach your copy of Proof Of Identity. You need to carry your original copy along with you and produce it when asked for it.
- You also need to submit one passport size color photo which complies with the rules and regulations stated in the passport application procedure.
- Passport fee is also to be paid at the time of application.
- You need to attach a photocopy of your ID card.
Visit a Passport Acceptance Agent
Once the passport application is completed. You must visit the passport acceptance agency situated in your local area. Here you will need to sign the new passport application in presence of a State department representative. After this, the next step would be paying your execution fees in the agency. Then you could choose one among the three methods of passport processing to get your passport application processed.
Methods for the US Passport Application Process
Following are the methods for obtaining your new passport.
- Routine Processing – A person must submit all the essential documents to the passport office in his area for routine processing. There are several courthouses, county clerk offices and passport acceptance office that will process your routine passport application. Routine applications may take around 6 to 8 weeks to get processed.
- Quick Processing (Regional Agency) : If for some reason you need to travel before 4 weeks and you need your passport for that then the process can be expedited by visiting the regional passport agency in your area. You will need to provide them all your necessary documents including the travel details and also give them the reason for your need to travel in such an emergency. In general appointments are taken much earlier but they do accept walk-in’s in emergency situations. It is essential to carry all the required documents to avoid delay in processing of the application.
- Quick Processing (Registered Passport Courier): US citizens have one great advantage of obtaining their new passport by seeking help from a passport expedition company. You can get your passport delivered to you in less than 48 hours, if you choose this processing option.
Want new articles before they get published?
Subscribe to our Awesome Newsletter.